Salt Crusted Potatoes with Cream Fraiche
By Alice Waters for Food 53
16-20 small farmers market potatoes
4 cups rock salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Wash and dry the potatoes well.
2. Spread out potatoes, leaving half inch space between them. Pour over enough rock salt to barely cover them – you should still be able to see the potatoes.
3. Roast until tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from the salt or keep warm on top of the salt until needed.
4. When ready to serve, cut a cross into the top of each potato with a small sharp knife.
5. Squeeze the potatoes to create the opening and fill each with a small dollop of crème fraiche, a pinch of chopped chives, and a grind of freshly ground black pepper.
6. Serve immediately.